We all know that steel pipe is a very important tool to establish the buildings, bridges and other pipeworks. But it is also dangerous. So there provides some safety tips for steel and pipe work.
Before we acknowledge the safety tips of the steel and pipeworks, we should acquaint with the various kinds of them. Because there is different ways to handling, storage, and transporting with different forms of the steel pipe. The types of the steel pipe include the flat plate, coil, round and squared bars, beams, pipes, and many other shapes. We need some specific tools to deal with the steel pates and bars, such as chains, clamps, and hooks. We need ensure the property of storing those fittings, attachments, and implements which used for handling steel plates and bars for our safety. We also can’t slip and fall the equipment. The following will introduce some methods of protecting the employees when they construct or repair the buildings, bridges or other structures where steel erection occurs.
The employees who use those dangerous equipment need have the basic ability required. If necessary, they should get corresponding certificate and gain enough safety knowledge.
- When the employees handling the steel pipe, they need wear the safety equipment, such as hard hats, steel toed boots and gloves.
- The equipment, such as cranes, forklifts, or hoists, which used to handle the steel pipe must be inspection qualified. The limitation and the load chart should be shown clearly in the surface.
- The lifting attachment must be load rated sufficient for the job.
- only one piece of steel can be lifted by the plate or dog clamps at one time.
- The chain would fail to work and cause the load to fall when it was installed improperly or using over its road rating.
- The road rating of the web slings should be ensure within its scope. And it can’t be contacted with the sharp edges.
- In order to prevent the road swinging on the floor or ground, the crane or hoist should be positioned directly over the load.
- Storing and transporting the steel pipe must be very careful, cause of there is some risks. If we don’t make any limits or fixation, the steel material may roll, slip, slid, or fall over. If the system of the storing space is not designed properly, the shelves or racking may breakdown. So, a professional designed inter-space is necessary for the steel material storage.
- In order to prevent the collapse, we must cross braced the racking or shelving systems.
- We should install the bollard posts in order to prevent the storage systems is been damaged by the forklifts or equipment.
- In the prominent locations of the system, the safe load capacity of storage systems should be clearly displayed.
- The weight of every kind of the steel pipes must be clearly knowledgeable by the employees.
- In order to promote the use of plate clamps, we should offset the steel plate stored on end or upright.
- If the round bar, pipe and steel coil are inclined or stopped, they should be stored in racks. If not, the material would rolling off.
- The storing of the large steel pipe is particularly. It should be stored lying flat and chocked, or secured in cradle in cradle racks. And we should use pipe cradles to transport these pipes.
- We must handle and store the coil steel properly. Because it is very dangerous and we would easy be injured by it. The coil steel is divided into different forms by the size and weight. Some may weight up to 15 tons. If the coil steel is uncoiled without restraint, it would be hazardous.
- Smaller coils should be put on the top, because the weight of the larger one would push apart it, then produce danger.
- Both the large diameter steel pipe and the coil steel should be transported in cradles.
Closing the gaps
- Steel is usually transported by the flatbed trucks and semi trailers. But what we should remarkable is that headboards should be provided in the trucks. It can protect the driver from the load moving forward. In addition, a trail board is also necessary. It can protect other drivers from loose material.
- In order to prevent the lateral movement of the load, the stanchion pins that suitable to the load should be placed in the rail post pockets.
- A special lane should be provided for the transportation of the steel pipe. As for the inside of the trucks, there should install a grab bucket between the cab and the headboard so that it can provide a safe vantage point for loading and unloading the operations directly. In order to ensure the safety of the load, drivers should check the load hourly.
- The rated load of the chains which used to fix the load and tied the steel pipe for transportation should be operated properly.
- Don’t park the trucks in an uneven ground to unload the cargo. If the destination is not suitable to unload the steel materials, the drive should inform the superiors to find another suitable place to load the steel pipes safely.
- The stanchion pins should be left in place and the binders should be loosen slowly while unloading the steels, especially the pipes and coil. Besides, it should be unloaded one by one. And it can’t be loosen completely until all the chains are loosing and there is no indication show that the load has transferred. Also, in order to prevent load shift hazard, the steel material should be re-tighten between the shifts while unloading.
Under any circumstances, when handling the steel, we should always be very carefully and slowly. With their different weight and the destructive capability, we should handle it in different methods. We should also notice that don’t neglect the safety to speed up the handling process. Remember forever that the safety is always the first priority.